PetSafe Premier Gentle Leader Quick Release Black Dog Headcollar
A dog’s natural instinct is to pull when tension is on the lead, even if they are choking. Because standard collars and harnesses create this tension when owners pull, the dog pulls in the opposite direction. Because the Gentle Leader Headcollar works like a halter, the dog’s head is gently moved in the direction the owner wants it to go. And where the head goes, the body will follow. Because of the placement of the nose loop, the dog immediately understands his/her place in the hierarchy. The dog considers the owner his/her leader.
Advantages for people
- Stops pulling on the leash.
- Control. With the Gentle Leader, you only have to compete with the strength of a dog’s neck and head not all of the power packed in the body. This makes it easy for anyone to walk big or strong dogs.
- Safety. Unlike the choke chain or prong collars, the Gentle Leader Headcollar is safe to use on puppies as young as 8 weeks old. There is very little pressure applied to the dog’s muzzle and no pressure on the throat.
- Flexibility. The Headcollar can be sized to fit all dogs with an adjustable nose loop. And you have the option to convert the Headcollar to a regular collar if desired.
Advantages for dogs
- Comfort. The Headcollar eliminates uncomfortable pressure on the throat when pulling on a standard collar.
- Communication. Because of the placement of the collar, the dog understands his place in the hierarchy. The dog considers you his leader.
*See Recommended Usage for Sizing details
Consider your dog's weight based on the chart below. Next, look at the shape of the dog’s head and snout. Breeds with long slender heads may take a smaller size than other dogs of the same weight. Breeds with wide muzzles may need a slightly larger size. When in doubt, choose the next larger size.
|Harness Sizing Chart|
|Size||Pet Size||Sample Breeds|
|Petite||under 5 pounds; snout 11"||Chihuahua, teacup and toy breeds, puppies|
|Small||5-25 pounds; snout 12"||Beagle, Sheltie, Shihtzu|
|Medium||25-60 pounds; snout 18"||Border Collie, Bulldog, Pug|
|Large||60-130 pounds; snout 22"||Boxer, German Shepherd, Labrador Retriever|
|Extra Large||over 130 pounds; snout 28"||Great Dane, Newfoundland, Saint Bernard