Are the beds waterproof?
The microfiber covers are water-resistant, but not 100% waterproof. Things like drool, licking or a wet dog coming in from the rain will NOT get through the fabric.
Microfiber is a very tightly woven fabric, so the "holes" are very very tiny. Drool, wet fur, etc will be blocked by the microfiber cover.
However - if you spilled a glass of water on the cover and let it sit for a long time, it WILL get through.
What if my dog won't use the bed?
While most dogs love the bed right away, it's not uncommon for some dogs to take up to a few weeks before getting used to a new bed. Don't worry, almost all dogs fall in love with the bed, it just takes some dogs longer than others.
Here are a few tips that have worked for other dog owners:
- Rub your hands all over the cover. It often helps to get your own scent on the bed.
- Lay on the bed yourself. This might get your dog interested in approaching and possibly stepping onto the bed.
- If your dog's old bed has a removable cover, take it off and lay it on top of the new bed. This can sometimes make the new bed seem more familiar.
- Put the bed in the exact spot where he lays while you're home. In my house, it's often right next to the couch. It doesn't need to stay in this spot, but it can often jump start the "trying out the new bed" process.
- Old fashion bribery. Get your dog to lay down on it, then bribe with a treat. Bribe every few minutes it stays on without getting up.
Most importantly though, just give it time.
Are the beds chew proof?
No, the cover is not made from chew resistant material. We use a furniture grade microfiber. It's "tear resistant" - meaning, it holds up better against nesting/digging than most types of dog bed covers. But dogs can chew through it if they're determined.
How do I clean my Big Barker products?
Dog Bed Covers
Our dog bed covers are machine washable. Wash on cold, tumble dry. Our microfiber also does not shrink. As long as you wash on cold & tumble dry, they can be washed 1,000 times and they won’t shrink by more than fractions of a millimeter. They’re also very easy to take on and off. Most dog beds just zip on a single side, but we use zipper around 3 sides.
Crate Pad Covers
The crate pad covers are also machine washable, however it’s easier to clean them with just a wet rag. Since they’re made with waterproof backing, don’t worry about getting the foam wet. If soiled, you can wipe with warm soapy water. Any dish soap will do. If you do choose to machine wash, use low heat. Dry on low for 10-15 minutes. IMPORTANT: Never use high heat settings in the washer or dryer, high heat will destroy the waterproof backing.
Machine washable. Wash on low heat, dry on low for no more than 10-15 minutes. Drying the liner on high temperature settings will destroy the waterproof backing.
Cleaning the Foam
The foam can be cleaned, but it’s a bit more hassle than washing the cover. If there’s ever an accident or a spill on the foam, what you want to do is soak the affected area thoroughly with warm water and dish soap. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Then press out as much moisture as you can. Do not “wring out” the foam, because wet foam is very heavy and tears very easily. Leave it in a dry place. It might take a couple days to completely dry out, but when it does, it should be good as new.