First I only purchased one as I thought they'd tug of war but no...there was a constant friction over ownership so I had to put it up until I got 2 more (I have 3 dogs) and now they are happy and really like to chew on the horn part. Think I need to keep an eye out, however, because I think they may splinter in time. Maybe they'll tug of war on the rope part after the horns are gone. We'll see.
My dogs love these, so I keep 3-4 on hand at all times. The rope is really sturdy and my dogs can't get enough buffalo horn chew time, making this one of their favorite long lasting treats. I say treat because I don't let them chew on them unattended. The horns do eventually get chewed through, leaving the dog with a small piece of horn, unattached from the rope, which might be able to cause a choking problem, but they manage fine. I would not leave this with them when I'm at work, but it lasts and they recognize it and go nuts to get to spend time with it. I'd say it lasts my border collie about 2 weeks. I look at it as just another expense of having a pet, and don't expect it to last long. They like whole buffalo horns (which last months), but they really like that they can hold the rope and get leverage to chew on this.
I got this for my German shepherd dog, she chewed off a few pieces of the "bone/horn" and ended up throwing them up. The chunks she ate were the size of a dime and were very hard. Doesn't seem safe for dogs to digest, the bone wasn't soft at all. I threw the toy away after seeing that she threw up a lot of these very hard pieces. Hoping she threw it all up before it try's to actually digest in her belly. I regret buying it for her, as she seems like she's not feeling too well now because of it. Hoping this doesn't cost me a vet visit or her getting hurt. Just do yourself a favor and not purchase this!
My dog was breaking off sharp shavings of whatever this material is within minutes of giving it to him. I immediately had to take it away from him to prevent him from swallowing any of the material. Do NOT recommend this toy and suggest it be removed from the market!
My dogs love it and I didn’t read the reviews before I bought them. Now I’m worried they may be harmful for them. I’m sadden as they love them, especially the horns. But keeping them safe is the most important.
I wish I read the reviews before buying. Luckily I was home and my dog was next to me when it happened . The bone split into splinters and got stuck in her throat. I was so worried, I got it out and threw the rope and bone away.
These are different than the original ones I ordered, these break of the rope pretty easily and can cause choking
Unlike some of the other reviews, this product is holding up very well against our 50 pound pit puppy. It is one of his favorites and keeps him occupied for awhile.
I wish I had read the reviews before purchasing. After 2-3 play sessions, my dog was able to break off chucks of the horns and she started swallowing them. Dangerous and now, junk.
Chewy states to watch your pet and that if the horn piece splinters to throw this away. The horn splintered within 30 seconds. Something this fragile shouldn’t be sold. It is a health hazard.