- Place the unit no higher than 5 feet from the ground.
- Face the front of the device towards the dog.
- Make sure there aren't any large objects between the device and the dog. The sound doesn't travel well through fences, trees, or walls.
- Don't use this bark control device on dogs who are deaf or hard of hearing. They won't respond to the ultrasonic tone.
- Turn off the device when not in use. This helps prevent dogs from becoming desensitized to the sound.
- Add additional units to cover areas larger than 1/4 acre.
- Don't use this product inside your home. The ultrasonic sound will bounce differently indoors.
- To improve battery life, use the timers to turn on the unit only when the dog barks or turn the unit off when not in use.
- While the unit is weatherproof, it shouldn't be submerged in water. If water enters the microphone, the device might not work until the microphone dries.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use the Indoor Bark Control outdoors? No, we do not recommend keeping the product outdoors. PetSafe® Outdoor Bark Control products are weatherproof and can work up to 50 feet from a barking dog.
Can I use the outdoor bark control indoors? We do not recommend using the product indoors. Even though the ultrasonic sound is inaudible to humans and only emitted when the dog barks, some people have experienced discomfort after extended time with the unit activating in a smaller indoor space. The PetSafe® PBC-1000 is an ultrasonic product that can be used indoors.
How does the Ultrasonic Outdoor Bark Control system work? The Outdoor Bark Control unit contains a microphone that senses a dog's bark. When it does, it emits an ultra high frequency that annoys but doesn’t harm your dog.
Is ultrasonic bark control effective on all dogs? Ultrasonic bark correction is often the best bark control solution for many dogs. However, it will not work for all dogs because of factors like age, hearing ability, and temperament. When setting up the device, make sure there are no obstacles between the dog and the device. Also, make sure that the birdhouse speaker is less than 5 feet high and is facing the direction of the barking dog.
I can’t hear the ultrasonic sound. The ultrasonic sound is not usually audible to humans.