Cystine stones (uroliths) occur when an inherited defect of the kidneys causes a build up of cystine in the dog’s urine. Cystine is an amino acid that is filtered and reabsorbed by the kidneys. The build up of this amino acid in the urine leads to the formation of cystine stones. Certain breeds are more affected than others by cystine urolithiasis. These include English Bulldogs, Newfoundlands, Dachshunds, Chihuahuas, and Mastiffs. Mixed breed dogs with the ancestry of these genetically susceptible breeds can also be affected.
- Canine Urinary UC Low Purine is a highly digestible, palatable, complete and balanced adult dog food formulated to meet the nutritional needs of adult dogs prone to urate, cysteine and xanthine urolithiasis.
- Low purine proteins combined with the production of alkaline urine help reduce the risk of urate stones
- Contains moderate quantities of high quality proteins and controlled methionine and cysteine levels
- Formula increases the urine volume to simultaneously reduce the saturation of urine with struvite and calcium oxalate precursors. - See more at: https://www.royalcanin.com/products/vet/urinary-health#sthash.e79Q6CPF.dpuf
- Enhanced levels of linoleic acid, zinc, and biotin help to promote a healthy skin and shiny coat
Note: Royal Canin Veterinary Diets require a veterinary prescription. This product will not be shipped until a copy of a valid prescription authorization is faxed to 1-800-619-7973 or e-mailed to email@example.com.
See all items by Royal Canin Veterinary Diet