Embark Breed Identification & Health Condition Identification DNA Test for Dogs
Frequently Bought Together
About This Item
- This test uses a research-grade genotyping platform that was created with Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. It screens more than 350 dog breeds, helping you find your pup’s genetic makeup.
- Tests for over 215 genetic health risks including glaucoma, MDR1 drug sensitivity, degenerative myelopathy, and other common adult-onset canine illnesses.
- Maps your pup’s family tree back to great grandparents and pairs your dog with similar breed mixes. Check out the profiles and photos of closely related breeds on the dashboard to see the resemblance between them and your furry friend!
- Helps you find and connect with other canine companions that share your dog’s DNA, including close and distance relatives.
- Embark is trusted by veterinary hospitals and partners with Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. Receive your results between 2-4 weeks!
Pet Lovers Also Bought
- DealEmbark Breed Identification DNA Test for Dogs$99.00Chewy Price$129.00List Price
- DealWisdom Panel Essential Breed Identification DNA Test for Dogs$74.99Chewy Price$99.99List Price
- DealWisdom Panel Premium Breed Identification & Health Condition Identification DNA Test For Dogs$119.99Chewy Price$159.99List Price
- Wisdom Panel Breed Discovery Breed Identification DNA Test for Dogs$79.99Chewy Price
- Jasper Finger Dog & Cat Toothbrush, 4 count, Multi Color$16.99Chewy Price
- Shed Defender Original Dog Onesie, Heather Grey, Large$54.99Chewy Price
- The Honest Kitchen Daily Boosters Instant Goat's Milk with Probiotics for Dogs, 0.18-oz, pack of 12$10.77Chewy Price$10.99List Price$10.23Autoship Price
- TrizULTRA + Keto Flush for Dogs, Cats & Horses, 12-oz bottle$19.98Chewy Price$18.98Autoship Price
- Nutramax Denamarin Liver Heath Tablet Supplement for Large Dogs, 30 count blister pack, bundle of 2$139.98Chewy Price$132.98Autoship Price
- Ocunovis Dog & Cat Gel Eye Drops, 5 mL bottle$11.99Chewy Price$21.99List Price
- Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Ophthalmic Pet Gel, 3-oz bottle$18.99Chewy Price$20.99List Price$18.04Autoship Price
- RADIUS Lush & Plush Dog & Cat Toothbrush$5.50Chewy Price$5.22Autoship Price
Compare Similar Items
|Breed Size||—||Small Breeds, Medium Breeds, Large Breeds, All Breeds||Small Breeds, Medium Breeds, Large Breeds, All Breeds||—||Small Breeds, Medium Breeds, Large Breeds|
|Health Feature||—||—||—||First Aid||—|
Questions & Answers
61 Customer Questions
ReviewsWrite a Review
529 Customer Reviews
Super Easy to Use - Now Just Waiting on Results!
Received the test kit a day or two after I ordered it and it was SO SIMPLE to use! I wasn't sure Lucky, my dog, would sit still for me to swab his cheek pockets but he seemed to love it (LOL)! Everything comes with step by step user-friendly instructions and a prepaid mailer to send in your sample. I've been kept up to date on every step of the process (sample received, sample being processed, etc.) and am now just waiting on results. So excited to finally figure out what makes up my most amazing mutt!
I was just looking for any health issues my Shih Tzu might be prone to because my Cavaliers have so many issues. Good info to have. She’s healthy! But surprise! She’s actually 17% Maltese (she’s 8 so kinda late to take it up with her breeder) But Embark also connected me with the person who currently has her mother dog. The resemblance it so cool to see and we’re keeping in touch and plan to have them meet some day.
Do not get if you have a rescued pitbull
If you have any pibble who looks like an American pitbull or Staffordshire, do not waste your money. We were so excited to find out more about our pibble and were extremely disappointed to say the least. My friend who has a rescued pitbull got certain percentages with Wisdom Panel (which I totally regret not getting). Anyway, hopefully this review will help people with rescued bullies. Not worth the price for nearly useless information.
Helpful and interesting
Tl;dr: new information was minimal, but extremely helpful. Very impressed with results accuracy. Process was easy, and processing time was as advertised. Like many here, I didn't put any info into my dog's Embark profile until after the results were delivered. I was suitably impressed that the report correctly predicted his weight, color, and possible health concerns. I was surprised to find out that my rescue who looks like he's made out of mismatched spare parts is apparently 100% purebred, but it actually makes sense on closer inspection - and hey, purebred doesn't mean well bred lol. We knew he had ataxia, but did not know the cause or what to expect for his health as he ages. Test revealed he is homozygous for NCL4A, which perfectly matches his symptoms so far. Apparently it is progressive and can also cause seizures so I'm very glad to know what to expect without being caught unawares, and can plan for his ongoing care! I especially like that Embark shows you which dogs in their system are related to yours. We have no history of the first few years of my boy's life, so it's really cool to be able to see some of his relatives!
If you have dog with behavior issues -- START HERE!!!
We adopted a 12-wk-old "Shepherd Mix" from the shelter last year. We were told he would be about 30 lbs. He was the sweetest, smartest puppy. Then adolescence came, and he was a completely different dog. He was not attacking us but to the neighbors he sure looked like he was... biting our arms like a police dog, biting our legs. We were covered head-to-toe in bruises and bite wounds. Then came the multiple behaviorists, the professional trainers, the 50 different kinds of interactive toys, the diet change, the vet consults and lab workups, and finally the Prozac and the sedatives. Also, he was approaching 60 lbs (double what we were told). I felt defeated and like I did something wrong even though I have owned dogs my entire life. My husband wanted to bring him back to the shelter (I would not allow that). Thousands and thousands of dollars later, we finally did Embark DNA Testing. Results came back 50% Rottweiler (mom was a pure breed), 15.5% Chow Chow, 15.2% Lab, only 5.4% German Shepherd, 13.9% SuperMutt (incl. Boxer, Husky, Pit Bull). HELLO???!!! I felt duped by the shelter. This is a dog that is sooooo smart.... and so rebellious! With Embark I got to reach out and meet the owners of FIVE his siblings. They almost all looked like Rotties. Some behaved like him as well. He is now 1.5 years old and a totally different dog. He needs to learn new things a lot. He likes to learn new tricks and needs different routes for walking and sniffing. But he also very much needs a schedule. He is super lovable, a total goofball, is the Casanova of our neighborhood with other dogs, and is off his meds. Embark allowed us to really get to know our dog and what we were dealing with so we could make decisions based on his needs, not so much ours. We have more work to do but he is well on his way! If you have a new dog with behavior issues, get this test!!!
Glad we did!
Loved this DNA test!! It not only gave us his breed, but his possible health condition. He may develop CDDY/IVDD as he gets older, but at least we'll know what to look for later. The video of his family tree was great! What his grandparents and great-grandparents might have been. We also got an email from the Embark's vet geneticist detailing what CDDY/IVDD is and how to manage it if it develops.
My dog is a Multi-Pooh. I wanted to find out the rest of his DNA. 24% came back undetermined. Only Maltese and Poodle were found. The health test was not effective either. It did not detect the gene for pancreatitis which he has.
I should have gone through my vet’s lab
Instructions seemed simple enough, but gathering the sample was more difficult than expected. It took many attempts (contamination issues), but we finally did it. After sending in the sample, results took longer than expected, and I only received one “update” that the sample was finally processing. One update is an update, I suppose. Results for health and breed were available separately. As far as health analysis goes, it lacked information I had been expecting to get (non-specific), but I guess that’s what I get for purchasing an at-home kit rather than doing this type of analysis through my vet’s lab. All in all, I can’t say I recommend this. Save your time, energy, and money, and save your pup the trouble of having a foreign object shoved between their cheeks for what feels like forever, and ask your pup’s vet to perform health and breed analysis instead.
Dog ate my test kit
I will come back to review once we have results- the package waiting to be sent on my entry way table was just too enticing for Miss Lola. From the looks of it she thoroughly enjoyed herself. Fortunately because I have had such a positive experience with Chewy I knew they would help me get a replacement test. My Lola is 100% good girl
They advertise 2 to 4 weeks for results. It’s been over 5 weeks and still no results. Customer service said there was a glitch in their system, and they can’t say when the results will come, because their computer is not updating. They keep telling me they’re escalating it and to wait.