Exo Terra Sand Mat Desert Terrarium Reptile Substrate
- FREE access to chat with licensed vets 7 days a week.
- Save 5% on all future Autoship orders.
- No fees, no commitments - cancel Autoship anytime.
Frequently Bought Together
About This Item
- Substrate is necessary to the health and well-being of your pet because it absorbs waste, helps control humidity levels and encourages burrowing.
- A safe, hygienic substrate substitute that is sturdy, easily removable and easy to clean.
- Cannot be accidentally ingested like loose sand or soil.
- Natural desert look.
- Ideal as quarantine substrate.
Pet Lovers Also Bought
- Exo Terra Turtle Large Natural River Pebbles, 10-lb bag$18.88Chewy Price$21.99List Price
- Exo Terra Desert Sand Terrarium Reptile Substrate, Red, 10-lb bag$15.99Chewy Price$15.19Autoship Price
- Zilla Terrarium Liner, Green, 30-gal$8.99Chewy Price$10.99List Price$8.54Autoship Price
- Exo Terra Jungle Earth Tropical Terrarium Reptile Substrate, 8-qt$13.31Chewy Price$14.99List Price$12.64Autoship Price
- Exo Terra Coco Husk Brick Tropical Terrarium Reptile Substrate, 8-qt$6.49Chewy Price$6.17Autoship Price
- Zoo Med Aspen Snake Bedding, 24-qt bag, bundle of 4$103.16Chewy Price$106.36List Price$98.00Autoship Price
- dealZoo Med Forest Floor Natural Cypress Mulch Reptile Bedding, 8-qt bag$10.57Chewy Price$11.99List Price$10.04Autoship Price
- Exo Terra Forest Moss Tropical Terrarium Reptile Substrate, 7-qt, 2 count$6.87Chewy Price$10.99List Price$6.53Autoship Price
- Zilla Lizard Litter Aspen Chip Reptile Bedding, 8-qt bag, bundle of 3$22.50Chewy Price$23.67List Price$21.38Autoship Price
- Exo Terra Forest Bark Natural Fir Terrarium Reptile Substrate, 8-qt$14.99Chewy Price$14.24Autoship Price
- Zilla Terrarium Liner, Brown, 40/50-gal$11.99Chewy Price$14.99List Price$11.39Autoship Price
- Exoticare Exotichip Organic Coconut Husk Chip Reptile Bedding, 2-lb bag$22.12Chewy Price$25.00List Price$21.01Autoship Price
Compare Similar Items
|Material||—||—||Plastic||—||Cardboard / Paper|
Questions & Answers
20 Customer Questions
ReviewsWrite a Review
49 Customer Reviews
Exo Terra Sand Mat, Disappointed!
Mat came damaged with lots of the substrate that was glued on mat come off and was laying on bottom of box. Before i can even use it,it is no more than a thick sheet of sandpaper.
I've used this with my leopard gecko for over a year now and it looks fantastic! There is some sand that falls off initially, but it does not leave the mat bare like some reviews say. It looks really good and doesn't run any risk of impaction like loose substrates can or any risk of toes or chins snagging like on a regular carpet. The main drawback is definitely that it is nearly impossible to clean! My gecko is nice enough to poop all in one corner so it wasn't too difficult to chip off once it dried, but it is a pain! So other than having to replace it after a while when it gets too dirty, I have no complaints with this product!
Be careful which reptile you use this with
I do like this product, but you need to be a little careful to avoid possible impaction. I bought mine for my leopard gecko. I had to thoroughly bush it off to get any loose substrate off. I personally would not use this with a reptile like a bearded dragon; way too risky. But I think it works well for a leopard gecko if properly prepared.
Changed the scenery nicely
This was easy to unroll (I did it out back just in case a few rocks fell), and once I put it in their habitat, it changed the whole scenery! We had sand, then bark, then paper towels, all trying to find the safest for our little guy and gal, and they LOVE this desert substrate! We followed other posts and put it only in some of the habitat, leaving the front and their normal waste area with easy to switch out paper towels.
Life like for my lizard
My beardies loves it! Looks like real desert ground. Size is perfect for easy installation.
Not good for beardies
The sand on this mat was really loose and the chunks coming off just from opening the box were large pebble sized. If your dragon were to eat that they could get an awful impaction. I don’t recommend this product for bearded dragons even though it appears in the bearded dragon search listings. I don’t know if it’d be beneficial to any other reptiles, I only own and am educated on bearded dragons. Newspaper or a mat is much better and safer for your dragon as long as you are a good pet owner and keep the tank cleaned regularly.
This stuff is excellent
I absolutely would recommend this stuff. It gives a nice aesthetic value to any setup, and really helps complete the look for those looking to bring the desert into their homes. Has an added side benefit of serving as a natural file for your reptile's claws. Comes in several very useable sizes, and it is reusable. It can even be lightly washed under low water pressure to keep it clean. 5 star product and Chewy has very competitive prices. Only thing I would say is shipping can take a few days so order a week ahead if you know you'll need it.
I have bought this more then once this is what I use for my bearded dragon and it lasts a long time and easy to wash off
looks nice but messy
Looks very nice but it is messy and hard to clean. Make sure to scrub it first as there are a lot of loose pieces you want to knock off. I think for what it is, it’s overpriced
I'm kinda iffy on this
I thought it would be longer than it is... I have a long tank for my bearded dragon and had to end up cutting this but no biggie it still does the job.