1) Unfold and place the pad, plastic side down, in a confined area, away from dog’s bed and food.
2) Place your dog on the pad several times so he can smell the pad and get used to it.
3) While your dog is eliminating on the pad, use a phrase like “go potty” so that eventually you can use the command and your dog will understand what it means.
4) Immediately after the dog eliminates on the pad, reward him with praise and a treat.
5) If your dog has an accident, bring him back to the pad immediately. Continue bringing your dog back to the pad to reinforce that this is the place to go potty.
6) Dispose of soiled pads and replace as needed. To housebreak your dog, gradually begin moving the pad closer to the door and finally outdoors to complete the housebreaking process.