Oxbow Garden Select Gerbil & Hamster Food
- FREE access to chat with licensed vets 7 days a week.
- Save 5% on all future Autoship orders.
- No fees, no commitments - cancel Autoship anytime.
Get notified when this item is back in stock.
Compare Similar Items
|Top Ingredients||Timothy Grass, Oat Groats, Linseed Meal...||Timothy Meal, Pearled Barley (Rolled), Oat Groats...||White Millet, Oats, Wheat...||Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Oats, Wheat...||Soybean Meal, Oat Groats, Soybean Hulls...|
|Food Form||Pellets||Pellets||Dried Fruits, Dried Veggies, Mix||Dry Food||Grains, Dried Veggies, Dried Fruits, Seeds, Mix|
|Small Pet Type||Gerbil, Hamster||Gerbil, Hamster||Hamster, Gerbil||Hamster||Hamster, Gerbil|
|Special Diet||Non-GMO||High Fiber||—||—||High-Protein|
|Health Feature||—||Vitamins & Minerals, Digestive Health||Vitamins & Minerals, Digestive Health||—||—|
About This Item
- A uniform, complete and balanced formula for your hamster and gerbil.
- Contains unique, high-quality garden ingredients that mimic a natural foraging environment.
- Includes whole yellow pea, tomato, carrot, spinach, and banana for a flavorful variety.
- Also incorporates three varieties of hand-selected grass hay for enrichment and variety.
- Non-GMO certified and farmed in the USA for a collection of ingredients you can trust.
Pet Lovers Also Bought
- Sweet Meadow Farm Timothy Pellets Adult Rabbit Food, 8-lb bag$11.26Chewy Price$11.59List Price$10.70Autoship Price
- DealSweet Meadow Farm Original Blend Pellets Guinea Pig Food, 10-lb bag$10.91Chewy Price$12.09List Price$10.36Autoship Price
- Wild Harvest Advanced Nutrition Gerbil & Hamster Food, 4.5-lb jug$10.49Chewy Price$10.89List Price$9.97Autoship Price
- Brown's Extreme! Gourmet Guinea Pig Food, 5-lb bag$14.99Chewy Price$21.29List Price$14.24Autoship Price
- Kaytee Food From the Wild Guinea Pig Food, 4-lb bag$14.99Chewy Price$17.99List Price$14.24Autoship Price
- Sunseed Vita Prima Critter Cubes Rat, Mouse, Gerbil & Hamster Food, 2-lb bag$7.99Chewy Price$7.59Autoship Price
- Wysong Ferret Archetypal 2 Dry Ferret Food, 5-lb bag$21.99Chewy Price$24.89List Price$20.89Autoship Price
- Oxbow Essentials Mouse & Young Rat Food All Natural Mouse & Young Rat Food, 2.5lb.$9.34Chewy Price$10.99List Price$8.87Autoship Price
- Bluebonnet Feeds Rabbit Kindle Bits 18% Protein Rabbit Food, 50-lb bag$29.49Chewy Price$28.02Autoship Price
- Carefresh Premium Western Timothy Hay, 24-oz bag$5.64Chewy Price$6.99List Price$5.36Autoship Price
- Oxbow Garden Select Young Guinea Pig Food, 25-lb bag$40.94Chewy Price$46.99List Price$38.89Autoship Price
- Mazuri Timothy Based Rabbit Food, 25-lb bag$23.92Chewy Price$28.99List Price$22.72Autoship Price
Questions & Answers
ReviewsWrite a Review
41 Customer Reviews
Not too great for hamsters
Like other reviewers said, the main ingredient of this diet is Timothy hay which is what hamsters don't need. Oxbow does well in other diets for other animals like guinea pigs but they still haven't really gotten a grasp of the diet for hamsters. If you're looking for a high variety seed mix, I would go with Sunburst and Mazuri Lab blocks.
Best Hamster Food
Not only is this well balanced diet healthy, but it's also not Genetically modified. Meaning, it's grown outside the confinement of mainstream regulations which is not always the best for your health. I'm so glad Chewy offers products like this
Quality from Oxbow
Not sure why people are wigging on Timothy hay, while advocating feeding foods full of soy (BAD for pretty much everything, especially female rodents), wheat middlings (literally garbage), corn and other fillers. Great food, Wilma likes.
Don’t get for hamsters!!!
The number 1 ingredient is Timothy Hay which isn’t good for hamsters. I would recommend Oxbow for Herbivores but, not omnivores like hamsters. Also, hamsters need variety along with a certain amount of protein. Seed mixes WONT cause picky eating.
Oxbow falls short here
Another reviewer posted "Unfortunately the number one ingredient in this food is Timothy hay. This is not necessary in a hamster’s diet, it’s just a filler. To achieve a good balance, mix Mazuri Rat and Mouse lab blocks with Higgins Sunburst hamster food." I couldn't agree more. Oxbow regal rat is a good diet if you want to stick with oxbow, and they make wonderful guinea pig and rabbit diets. But the garden select line is mostly hay/grass, which is not a natural part of the diet for hamsters, gerbils, mice, or rats. They also should be provided a good quality seed mix for foraging, variety, and some healthy fats. I also use Higgins Sunburst, mixed with a couple others. Please don't buy this.
Unfortunately the number one ingredient in this food is Timothy hay. This is not necessary in a hamster’s diet, it’s just a filler. To achieve a good balance, mix Mazuri Rat and Mouse lab blocks with Higgins Sunburst hamster food.
A good supplement from Oxbow
Due to the high concentration of timothy hay in this recipe I do not feed this food as a complete diet. I feed a mix of Oxbow's Garden Select and the original Hamster & Gerbil food as an added fiber supplement for my small animals. This food is a solid additive to my pets' diets.
Hamsters and Gerbils
Both my hamster and gerbil love this. When I got my hamster Theo the first night he automatically ate this right away. My gerbils have been on it for years and do so well.
Gerbs love it!
I’m assuming if our gerbils could speak they would give this 5 stars. I like that it’s not the big nuggets like a diff brand that we had gotten previously (somewhere else).
oxbow Garden select for Hamster
My hamster loves this food. She will wait for me to drop it in her cage and immediately start eating it.. She prefers this food over the other I was feeding her.