What criteria should I use when selecting a hummingbird feeder?
Make sure it is 1 that will be easy to clean and fill, especially since you will need to clean the feeder each week. Hummingbird feeder with bee guard if you are worried about bees and wasps or ants invading the feeder, purchase a hummingbird feeder with bee guards or ant guards. There are many decorative hummingbird feeders on the market. We offer a wide variety of hummingbird feeders to suit your preferences.
My Top Fill Feeder is leaking - what should I do?
Here are a few things to review before filling the feeder:
- Check to make sure the base compartments are securely tightened
- Push container into base to close ports to prevent leakage
- Unscrew to cap to fill with nectar
- Screw cap back on securely to form an airtight seal. Please note: if the cap does not fit securely on to the feeder and you see a gap between the cap and the feeder, the seal may be the issue.
- To replace the outer ring, push firmly on the center of the cap to pop out the middle* Replace with new outer ring
- We recommend keeping the feeder in the closed position until you get to the spot where you want to hang it
- To open nectar reservoir - hold base with 1 hand and pull up on the container with the other to open ports for feeding* Your feeder is now ready
Where is the best place to hang my new hummingbird feeder?
Place your hummingbird feeder away from sun and wind. The sun may cause the mixture to turn bad and the wind may swing the feeder around, causing the mixture to spill.
How do I attract hummingbirds to my feeder?
Hummingbirds will find your nectar feeder, although there are some steps you can take to help the tiny birds find it sooner. Tying a red ribbon on the feeder wire or pole will help them locate it. Some enthusiasts prefer to use red nectar, although hummingbirds will also find the clear nectar in hummingbird feeders. Another "tried and true" method is to plant flowers that attract hummingbirds adjacent to the feeder area. Placing a birdbath in your yard near the feeder may help to attract them, after which they may also then find the nectar in the feeder.
How do I clean my hummingbird feeders?
Hummingbird feeders really need to be cleaned every week. Use a mild soap and water solution and a bottle brush to easily clean your feeders. The Perky - Pet® cleaning mop is specially designed for this purpose and very convenient to use. A bleach solution of 10 parts water to 1 part bleach can also be used as long as it is then rinsed completely. This cleaning mop can also be used on your oriole feeders, too!
What is birdscaping?
Birdscaping: A common term used to describe creating the ideal environment to entice and support hummingbirds in your yard. Several key elements are as follows:
- Trees, shrubs and flowers provide a perching area, shelter and food.
- Water is a necessary element that is attractive to all birds. Providing a bird bath could be as simple as turning over the clean lid to a trash can and filling it with water.
- Feeders that provide easy access to nectar and keep pests away are ideal for attracting hummingbirds.
- Certain flowers’ nectars are also an attractant for hummingbirds.
Are Hummingbirds Really Attracted to Red?
Hummingbirds have color vision that surpasses humans and even extends into the UV range. They see all colors well. Much of nature is green, due to vegetation. The color that contrasts most with green is red, so it's no coincidenceHummingbirds attracted to red hummingbird feeders that many hummingbird - pollinated flowers are red or orange; they are the easiest to see and attract hummingbirds the fastest. However, hummingbirds are very curious creatures that are constantly exploring their environment for food sources that satisfy their high - energy needs. Thus, they often "stumble upon" non - red flowers that have good nectar loads and will return to those flowers as long as nectar is available. If you have an established location where hummingbirds are known to feed, your feeder does not have to contain the red color; because of their curiosity, hummingbirds will track down a food source, regardless of color.