I went down a research rabbit hole to switch out all my dogs food/treats etc to vet recommended or research backed options after a long journey of stomach sensitivities with my dog. This particular chew is one of only two harder chews recommended for dogs by the Veterinary Oral Health Council. My boy is on the smaller side at 13-15 lbs but LOVES chewing so I wasn’t worried about the size (about the size of a smart phone) as he is happy to chew anything lol. This has quickly become his favorite chew and keeps him happy and occupied for at least an hour a day. It doesn’t seem to upset his stomach which is a win for us. He has gone through about 2 now (has been about a month) and is still his go to chew. Will be repurchasing as chew of choice for the time being!
Have been experimenting with dental treats for my GSD. All other treats have been devoured in less than 30 seconds and dont really do anything for his teeth. These last him anywhere from 5-10 mins and havent effected his sensitive stomach in anyway. I will say they are BIG and sometimes he tries to swallow a big piece before chewing it and he regurgitates it and tries again, but that's more a dog defect and not anything to do with the treat. Anyone giving it a one star because their dog doesnt like it or is too big for their dog is weird.
I bought these multiple times, but most recently my dog was chewing on one and it folded and got lodged deep in her esophagus. These get sticky and fold when they are wet which is how it got stuck. I had to do the heimlich on her because she was panicking. The treat passed, but damaged her esophagus on the way down, so she was on meds for a while and had trouble eating solids. The whole thing cost $900 at the emergency vet. Luckily insurance covered $500 but I was still out $400. The vets said they have seen this before. I would freeze a kong instead, the risk is not worth it.
If your dog is any part poodle, do not buy this for them. My dog is a very picky eater, sometimes refusing treats she loves because she knows I have better ones in reserve. If this sounds like your dog, do not buy these treats. Get their teeth professionally cleaned and try to brush their teeth every night.
I'm thrilled that there's a chewy for the veterinary diets, but I wish these were smaller and/or not so hard that they can't be cut. They're OK for long-term chewing, so I'll keep getting them, but I'd get them more often if they were about 2-3" square and thinner.
Neither one of my dogs are interested in these... they are too hard and too dry. One dog is still pulling it out from under the bed but it has NOT changed a bit since he first tried it about 6 months ago. I think it may be time for me to trash it rather than see the say piece on the floor ever few weeks.
Our girl, Jazz is going on 9yo, and has been on ProPlan Focus products since Day One (notably, lamb/rice food and LiteSnackers). I'm convinced this has contributed to far fewer infections, allergies, shedding, digestive issues, and a highly intelligent & active lifestyle, than most dogs and breeds! These Dental Chewz and a welcome new addition to her routine. She not only loves them, but I have noticed her breath and teeth are much cleaner between Vet cleanings - and I love that our Vet now gives these treats in their office! Thank you, Purina for over 100yrs of great animal products, and thanks Chewy for always carrying the best for our pets!
Highly recommend these treats! Great alternative to bones, and VOHC approved to improve dental health! My dog can’t get enough of them!
I would have given these 5 stars except that usually more than half the box are for large dogs because they are so thick. Very seldom do we find any small sizes. I quit buying them for a while and now just have for something to entertain him once in a while. Make a bigger variety of sizes.
Gave to two of our dogs, the large shepherd would not touch it and the shepherd mix ate one and would not touch another a few days later. Very large and hard.