Instinct Original Grain-Free Pate Real Chicken Recipe Wet Canned Cat Food
- FREE access to chat with licensed vets 7 days a week.
- Save 5% on all future Autoship orders.
- No fees, no commitments - cancel Autoship anytime.
Frequently Bought Together
About This Item
- Cage-free chicken is the first ingredient in this savory recipe that’s packed with animal protein for strong, lean muscles.
- Contains 95% chicken, turkey and chicken liver and 5% vegetables, fruits and other wholesome ingredients.
- Made without grain, potato, corn, wheat, soy, artificial colors or preservatives.
- Has a delicious pate texture.
- Made using the finest ingredients from around the world.
Pet Lovers Also Bought
- dealZiwi Peak Air-Dried Venison Recipe Cat Food, 14-oz bag$38.48Chewy Price$36.56Autoship Price
- Instinct Original Grain-Free Pate Real Rabbit Recipe Wet Canned Cat Food, 3-oz, case of 24$52.56Chewy Price$54.96List Price$49.93Autoship Price
- Instinct Original Grain-Free Pate Real Duck Recipe Wet Canned Cat Food, 3-oz, case of 24$47.76Chewy Price$45.37Autoship Price
- Halo Chicken, Shrimp & Crab Stew Grain-Free Adult Canned Cat Food, 5.5-oz, case of 12$24.99Chewy Price$29.99List Price$23.74Autoship Price
- Instinct Original Grain-Free Pate Real Salmon Recipe Wet Canned Cat Food, 3-oz, case of 24$40.56Chewy Price$42.96List Price$38.53Autoship Price
- Weruva Grandma's Chicken Soup with Chicken & Pumpkin Grain-Free Canned Cat Food, 3-oz, case of 24$37.03Chewy Price$42.96List Price$35.18Autoship Price
- Feline Natural Chicken & Lamb Feast Grain-Free Wet Cat Food, 3-oz pouch, case of 12$28.99Chewy Price$27.54Autoship Price
- Tiki Cat Hawaiian Grill Ahi Tuna Grain-Free Canned Cat Food, 2.8-oz, case of 12$16.56Chewy Price$18.48List Price$15.73Autoship Price
- dealInstinct Original Grain-Free Pate Recipe Variety Pack Wet Canned Cat Food, 3-oz, case of 12$19.99Chewy Price$18.99Autoship Price
- Halo Salmon Recipe Pate Grain-Free Indoor Cat Canned Cat Food, 5.5-oz, case of 12$24.99Chewy Price$29.99List Price$23.74Autoship Price
- Lotus Just Juicy Venison Stew Grain-Free Canned Cat Food, 2.5-oz, case of 24$57.22Chewy Price$57.36List Price
- Halo Chicken Recipe Pate Grain-Free Indoor Cat Canned Cat Food, 5.5-oz, case of 12$23.88Chewy Price$29.99List Price$22.69Autoship Price
Compare Similar Items
|Top Ingredients||Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver...||Duck, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver...||Real Chicken Recipe: Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Liver...||Rabbit, Pork, Pork Liver...||Salmon, Salmon Broth, Pork Liver...|
|Food Flavor||Chicken, Poultry||Duck, Poultry||Chicken, Salmon, Poultry, Seafood & Fish||Rabbit, Meat||Salmon, Seafood & Fish|
|Special Diet||High-Protein, Grain-Free, Gluten Free...||High-Protein, Grain-Free, Gluten Free...||Grain-Free, High-Protein, No Corn No Wheat No Soy, Natural||High-Protein, Grain-Free, Gluten Free...||High-Protein, Grain-Free, Gluten Free...|
|Health Feature||Appetite Stimulation, Skin & Coat Health||Appetite Stimulation, Skin & Coat Health||Appetite Stimulation, Skin & Coat Health||Appetite Stimulation, Skin & Coat Health||Appetite Stimulation, Skin & Coat Health|
|Packaging Type||Can||Can||Can, Variety Pack||Can||Can|
Questions & Answers
35 Customer Questions
ReviewsWrite a Review
552 Customer Reviews
I've been purchasing this product for the last year and a half and been very happy until recently. I don't believe it is the same product since they moved manufacturing to Thailand - it looks different, smells different, comes in a different can, and my cat is much less enthusiastic about eating it. I'm disappointed that they are trying to pass this off as the same. Instinct has permanently lost my business and I will no longer be recommending their products to anyone.
New formula is not a hit but a miss
I have been buying this canned food for years and my cats loved it. The new formula is noticeably different and my cats won’t eat it. It no longer smells like chicken, it’s very gelatinous, and contains no peas or carrots (even though peas and carrots are still listed as ingredients). I then noticed it’s no longer made in the USA but states it is a product of Thailand. It use to be a high quality product and I felt good about feeding it to my cats and my cats loved the chicken and venison formulas but that has all changed.
2022 Different Formula
Had been buying for 2+ years and the product WAS wonderful! Smelled good, color WAS light, each can always HAD the same amount of product, same density. . . .It WAS consistent and it WAS great. NOW: smells gross, the color is darker, A LOT of food sticks within the can (before I could get all of it out with a small spoon/bit of water) Can is difficult to open. . . Really frustrated this happened. I am now purchasing a different product.
No longer good and no longer made in USA
The old formula was a favorite but this new formula is different and my cat won’t touch it. Also, no longer made in the USA, now it's made in Thailand? I now realize that even the picture here on the Chewy website no longer has that small US flag in the corner of the label!
New recipe, not a fan
I have bought Instinct wet food for my cat for 5+ years now because it has been consistently ranked for high quality. One of their quality claims was that the food was made in the US and that all of their meat (at least for poultry and a few other products) came from the US. This was also the reason their price was higher than some brands: you were paying for US-made quality and meat. The cans left over from my last autoship (chicken, rabbit, lamb, venison) all have a US flag and a “Made in the USA with the finest ingredients from around the world” statement on them (news to me that the ingredients were no longer consistently from the US), but my recent shipment of chicken no longer has the flag/statement and the can instead says “Product of Thailand.” The cans look different and the recipe has definitely changed: no more chunks of carrot and whole peas, much more gelatinous, smells different. I just opened the first can this morning and my cat has eaten what I gave him, so he has no complaints so far. My complaint is not against cat food from Thailand, but that Instinct makes such a huge point about their food being sourced and made in the US. That’s supposedly one of the reasons why the food costs more money than other brands, because they have more control over the quality and origins. So if that’s not true anymore, why does the food cost so much?
Definitely a one-star
The first thing I noticed when I opened the can is the amount of water in the food. A lot! Once I had refrigerated the half-used can I noticed the amount of fat in the food. A lot! My pickiest cat shakes her foot in disgust at the food and turns away. The medium-picky eater eats it last when offered the choice. The piggy one doesn't care, but he'll eat anything. I would not buy this again.
Formula Change is a no
I had to hunt down wet cat food that is healthy with solid ingredients for a long time. I stumbled onto Instinct last year and my girls took to it fairly quickly. They're both extremely picky about healthy options and only want gravy foods. As soon as I opened the last shipment's cans I could tell something is off. It smelled different, the consistency was gelatinous, and the little chunks of peas and carrots were gone. Still tried to give it to my cats because it looked fine but they hate it. So I'm back to square one and I'll need to donate the new cans to the shelter at least. Very disappointed and I'll have to find a new brand.
Cats won’t eat anymore after formula change
My two senior boys have been eating this food for several years, and my new 1 year old for the past year. And they always loved it and ate it all. However, Instinct recently changed the recipe for their cat foods (the turkey recipe changed too). The food has a weird thick gravy now that reminds me of a bad chicken and stars soup. I used to be able to rinse the cans with water and the cans would be clean. Now there is a weird residue left in the cans that will not come out. I tried feeding the new recipe food to my cats but all steadfastly refused to eat it. So I have switched them all to Weruva pate food which they seem to like a lot. I will be seeing if I can get a refund for this food as I spent a lot of $$ on it. (Cans with new recipe have blue writing on lids.)
I agree with all the other reviews about the change in formula.. It smells like a can of tuna despite it being chicken, there are no longer chunks of carrots and peas, and the “broth” is now thicker as well as a nuclear yellow color. Super weird.. There is also a ton of congealed fat specks where there used to be none, at first I thought my cans had gone bad before I looked this up. My cats are still eating it however I buy in bulk and have four cases of this weird smelling neon food… Will be researching a healthy alternative cuz I don’t trust it. I’d like to add that this is consistent as I have opened one can from each case and they are the same.
Cat won’t eat new formula
My cat has eaten Instinct original chicken wet food for years. My recent order had silver tops instead of the regular gold. When I opened it the smell was different as well as the texture. My cat wouldn’t taste it even though he was hungry! I see it is now made in Thailand. Now I am in the process of trying to find a new food he will eat. What a mess!!