Changing the Bio-Bag®: When water flows excessively from the Wonder Tube Chamber into the aquarium, it is time to change the Bio-Bag®. The Bio-Bag® should be changed once per month to prevent backflow and avoid filtration problems resulting from a clogged Bio-Bag®.
Using a ready-to-use, assembled Bio-Bag®
- Remove filter box cover.
- Lift Bio-Bag® and allow excess water to drain into filter box.
- Dispose in garbage can.
- Rinse new Bio-Bag®, insert into filter, replace filter cover.
Using an unassembled Bio-Bag®
- Remove Bio-Bag® from filter, allowing excess water to drain into filter box.
- Remove clip from frame, fold up frame flap, and remove floss bag from frame. Place new floss bag over frame.
- Add one packet of Ultra-activated® carbon.
- Fold flaps of Aerobic Frame® over filter bag and replace clip.
- Rinse Bio-Bag®, insert into filter, replace filter cover.
Maintaining the Energizer: Caution: Only remove Energizer when absolutely necessary.
- Unplug power cord, empty filter box, and place it upside down on a flat surface.
- Grasp Energizer with one hand and filter box with the other. Gently turn Energizer counter-clockwise until its sidewall is parallel to the raised line on the bottom of the filter box.
- Hold Filter Box with one hand and gently pull the Energizer with the other. (If necessary, rock the Energizer back and forth to ease removal.)
- Clean inside of Energizer Well with a Q-tip Cotton Swab. Do not use a metal instrument of any kind. Before replacing Energizer, wet the “o-ring” with water, or coat its surface with a small amount of non-medicated petroleum jelly.
- Replace Energizer and fill filter box with water. Check to be sure that Energizer is seated properly and does not leak. (When seated properly, the red o-ring will not be visible.)
- Re-install filter.
Cleaning The Wonder Tube®:
- Unplug power cord and remove filter box cover.
- Lift Wonder Tube® out of filter.
- Remove Magnet Impeller Assembly.
- Clean all parts under running water. If needed, use a filter stem spring brush.
- The Flow Control Knob can be removed to aid in cleaning. Before replacing the knob, wet its “o-ring” with water, or coat the surface of the o-ring with a small amount of non-medicated petroleum jelly.
- Reinstall the Wonder Tube.
- Rinse Bio-Bag® and slide into v-notched slot in aquarium well wall. (Note: Before installing, fill wells with water and check for leaks.)
- Remove Bio-Foam® from Aerobic Grid®. Rinse it in cold water, squeezing until it is thoroughly wet. Place the Bio-Foam® back into the Aerobic Grid® and slide it into the filter box next to the Bio-Bag®.
- Hang filter tank on rear wall of aquarium.
- Assemble the Wonder Tube®. (Note: Not all filters include extension tubes.)
- Slide Wonder Tube® into filter box so that the impeller slide all the way into the Energizer Well. If necessary, add or remove extension tubes to position the strainer at least one inch above gravel. (Leave 3 inches above gravel for cichlids and goldfish.)
- Set Control Knob at maximum flow by pointing indicator arrow at aquarium wall.
- Pour water into the Wonder Tube® Chamber until it overflows into Bio-Bag® Chamber.
- Cover the filter and fill your aquarium with water (1/2 inches to 1 1/4 inches from top).
- Plug in power cord; the filter should start automatically within 10 to 20 seconds.
- If filter does not start, remove cover and slide Wonder Tube® up and down with one or 2 short strokes. Replace cover.