How does ULCERGARD® work?
ULCERGARD® works by decreasing gastric acid secretion. Most stomach ulcers are caused by prolonged contact between acid and the lining of the stomach so by reducing acid, the formation of ulcers can be prevented.
Is ULCERGARD® safe?
Yes. In both field trials and placebo-controlled safety studies, no adverse events were observed when horses were treated as recommended with ULCERGARD®.
How is ULCERGARD® different from other stomach ulcer treatment?
ULCERGARD® contains a unique paste formulation that protects the omeprazole allowing it to remain stable and reach the site of absorption. ULCERGARD® is the only equine stomach ulcer prevention proven to be safe, effective and approved by the FDA.
How do I know ULCERGARD® is working?
The only way to definitively diagnose gastric ulcers is with an endoscopic examination. So, if you suspect your horse already has ulcers, work with your veterinarian to confirm their presence, location and severity to dictate appropriate treatment. In terms of ulcer prevention, we can assume that ULCERGARD® is working if the horse does not develop clinical signs of ulcers in the face of risk factors. Endoscopic exam can also be used to confirm the lack of ulcer development.
How do I give ULCERGARD® to my horse?
- To set the syringe plunger, while holding plunger, turn the knurled ring on the plunger ¼ turn to the left and slide the knurled ring along the plunger shaft so that the side nearest the barrel is at the appropriate daily dose marking, aligning the arrow on the plunger with the notch on the ring.
- Lock the ring in place by making ¼ turn to the right. Ensure it is locked (it should no longer slide).
- Make sure horse's mouth contains no feed before administration.
- Remove syringe tip cover.
- Insert syringe into the corner of the horse's mouth.
- The entire dose should be deposited on the back of the tongue or deep in the cheek pouch.
- Depress the plunger until it stops at the dose ring.
My horse did not get the full dose, can I give them more?
Yes, if any of the dose is lost, re-dosing is recommended.
Can ULCERGARD® be used on pregnant or nursing horses? Safety in pregnant and lactating mares has not been determined. ULCERGARD® may be used safely in breeding stallions.
Can ULCERGARD® be used with foals?
ULCERGARD® is a preventative for gastric ulcers in horses that weigh at least 600 pounds. The effectiveness in horses below 600 pounds has not been evaluated.
Can ULCERGARD® be used on other animals?
ULCERGARD® is only approved for use in horses.