Penn-Plax Premium Underground Aquarium Filter
Frequently Bought Together
About This Item
- Premium filter offers convenient, trouble-free maintenance to make tank-keeping easier.
- Keeps water crystal clear, so you can spend more time admiring your beautiful, finned friends.
- Jumbo 1 inch adjustable lift tube allows you to tailor the height to your aquarium’s water level.
- Includes filter cartridges to keep waste and harmful gases and chemicals out of your habitat.
- Easy to set up and install, which means you can waste less time putting your tank together and more time enjoying your aquarium.
Pet Lovers Also Bought
- Tetra Pond Filtration Fountain Kit with Flat Box Filter, 250 - 500 gal$92.79Chewy Price$153.19List Price
- Aqueon QuietFlow 20/75 Phosphate Remover Specialty Aquarium Filter Pad, 2 count$16.20Chewy Price$18.00List Price
- AquaClear Mini Foam Filter Insert, Size 20$1.29Chewy Price$2.99List Price$1.23Autoship Price
- Marineland C-Series Canister Ceramic Rings Filter Media, 140 count$6.29Chewy Price$8.99List Price$5.98Autoship Price
- Marina Aquarium Power Filter, 15-gal$20.89Chewy Price$36.99List Price
- Tetra Whisper Aquarium Filter Cartridges, Small, 6 count$4.91Chewy Price$7.99List Price$4.66Autoship Price
- Aqueon QuietFlow X-Small Filter Cartridge, 6 count$14.84Chewy Price$16.48List Price$14.10Autoship Price
- Tetra BIO-Bag Aquarium Filter Cartridge, Medium, 8 count$11.92Chewy Price$16.09List Price$11.32Autoship Price
- Fluval Aquarium Underwater Filter, 15-gal$26.12Chewy Price$44.99List Price
- AquaClear Mini Activated Carbon Filter Insert, Size 20$1.53Chewy Price$3.99List Price$1.45Autoship Price
- Marineland Bio-Wheel Penguin Rite-Size B Filter Cartridge, 3 count$8.99Chewy Price$9.39List Price$8.54Autoship Price
- Boyd Chemi-pure Elite All-In-One Chemical Filtration Media, 11.74-oz jar, Bulk 6-pack$51.08Chewy Price$95.99List Price$48.53Autoship Price
Compare Similar Items
|Fish Type||Tropical Freshwater, Marine Fish, Cichlid, Goldfish||Tropical Freshwater, Betta, Cichlid, Goldfish||Betta, Goldfish, Cichlid, Tropical Freshwater||Tropical Freshwater, Marine Fish||Tropical Freshwater, Marine Fish|
|Aquarium Type||Freshwater, Saltwater||Freshwater, Saltwater||Freshwater||Freshwater, Saltwater||Freshwater|
|Material||Plastic||Plastic||Plastic||Mesh, Synthetic Fabric||Microfiber, Synthetic Fabric|
Questions & Answers
22 Customer Questions
ReviewsWrite a Review
32 Customer Reviews
Undergravel filter not the best
This filter is ok, but not as good as my old one. The fish waste sits on top of the gravel; and accumulates on the edges of the tank. I have 6 fish in a 35 gallon tank; so I don't have an overcrowded tank by no means. zebra danios and one Pleco.
filters and use
these work great use lift tube on one end connected to canister filter other end a power head or 2 power heads use corner filters for bio and chemipure or canister. i have had a tank that only needs filter maint. and add water for over a year. shoot the flow direction of filter and powerhead at front center of tank to cross flow creating turbulent flow. other than monthly lite vacuming and keeping either the canister retun or powerhead above water at least .5 inch for airation for amonia pretty maint free note use boyds chemipure.
PENN-PLAX UNDERGROUND FILTER
THE ITEM IS A GREAT UNDERGROUND FILTER, BUT, WHEN ARRIVED AND OPENED, THE ONE PIECE THAT THE CHARCOAL FILTER PART SLIDES INTO WAS BROKEN ON THE BOTTOM UPON TAKING OUT OF THE PACKAGE. I HAVE IT CURRENTLY TAPED UP TO BE ABLE TO USE IT AS I HAD THE FILTER ALL SET WITH THE STONES ON TOP IT BEFORE I PUT THOSE LAST PIECES ON.. AND MY GRANDSON WAS NOT HAPPY I HAD TO TAKE HIS TURTLE TANK APART AGAIN.
Penn=Plax underwater gravel filter.
I always use an underwater gravel filter along with a sponge filter and a HOB filter. Each type of filter does its thing and my tanks stay clean and clear longer and the nitrogen cycle is kept intact by using more than one filtration system that supports it.
Great addition to aquarium
Updated my 20 gallon tank and added this ungravel filter. 10+ years ago they were popular and I used one and enjoyed it. Fast forward to this tank now, they were not easily found in store or online. 4+ years now, I updated my tank and found this on Chewy, it made a difference in aesthetics, less tubing but more air flow.
After lots of online research, some people either love or hate under gravel filters. Personally, I think it’s a great set up for any tank. I liked it because of the lower water flow compared to a power filter. I wanted fish who like less flow: Betta, Guppies, Mollies. I also did an aquatic plant and just planted it in a little terra cotta pot with gravel. This system works by using the air bubbles in the lift tubes to create suction through the base plates under the gravel. When the solids are pulled through the gravel to the base of the tank, beneficial bacteria is able to digest and break it down. I still plan on doing water changes each month and using a gravel vacuum to suck up additional solids. I chose to use a nano air pump with the system because my tank is only 10 gallons and the nano air pump is very quiet. when the solids are pulled through the gravel to the base of the tank, beneficial bacteria is able to digest and break it down. I still plan on doing water changes each month and using a gravel vacuum to suck up additional solids. I chose to use a nano air pump with the system because my tank is only 10 gallons and the nano air pump is very quiet. NOTE: you will need to purchase an air pump and airline tubing separately to complete the set up. I would also recommend a splitter for the air tubing if you’re planning on using one air pump to power the uplift tubes.
Not super sturdy but they work
The Penn-Plax Underground filters work just fine. They aren't exactly flimsy but they aren't nearly as sturdy as some other brands so you have to be aware of that when installing them. But they don't cost near as much either. And the plates are completely flat, which some filters aren't. I would not suggest them for use in salt water tanks but they are a good buy and they work.
Can't buy replacement filters through Chewy.
I love the filter. Fits great in my 10-gallon tank was very easy to assemble. BUT Chewy does not sell the replacement filters!
Not for me!
Followed the directions , this is not for me. It doesn't work .
It took a little bit to plumb the air lines but it wasn't too bad. The product works well. I think you guys need a link to replacement charcoal cartridges. I cannot find those yet. Keep in mind if you buy one of these you will need air valves more tubing and a good air pump. But the system works well and is inexpensive.