'Maintaining your Filtration System
Changing the Filter Cartridge: 1. Open the system's Carbon Filter Access Door and lift out Carbon Filter Carrier. 2. Hold Carbon Filter Carrier above Carbon Filter Access Door for a few seconds to drain water. Then invert Carbon Filter Carrier at a 45-degree angle and carry to waste bin. 3. Squeeze Carbon Filter Carrier Handle to drop dirty Carbon Filter Cartridge into waste bin. 4. Insert clean Carbon Filter Cartridge into Carbon Filter Carrier (blue-colored floss should face the front). Drop Carbon Filter Carrier into system and close Carbon Filter Access Door.
Cleaning the Bio-Scrubber Insert: Note: Do not dispose of the Bio-Scrubber Insert unless it is damaged. It is a permanent part of the filtration system and not meant to be replaced or disturbed. If your Bio-Scrubber Insert should ever become clogged as evidenced by restricted water flow or water flowing over the top of the Bio-Scrubber Insert, follow the procedure below.
- Remove the system's Hood and remove the Bio-Scrubber Insert.
- Gently rinse the Bio-Scrubber Insert under cool water to dislodge clogs. Do not use soap or any other cleaner. Note: Do not remove the beneficial bacteria growing on the Bio-Scrubber Insert. These bacteria turn toxins into harmless comlbs.
- Re-insert Bio-Scrubber Insert and snap system Hood back into place.
- Attach strainer (and extension tubes, if necessary) so that strainer will be no closer than 2 inches to aquarium gravel once the system is hanging on aquarium frame.
- Hang system on aquarium frame. Be sure aquarium water is at or above the minimum water level indicated on system's motor assembly.
- Once system is properly in place, plug filtration system into outlet being sure to arrange a drip loop with the power cord.
- Squeeze start button on Time strip® and place it in compartment on filter hood so that the white area shows through the window. The bottom of the white timeline will darken approximately 30 seconds after activation. (Important: If bottom of timeline does not darken, then the Time strip® has not been activated and you need to squeeze the button against)